2.05.2011

A recipe for soup because baby it's cold outside.

It's snowing again in central Illinois. When I'm sick (which I am) and when it's cold outside, I fill my belly with bowls full of soup. I can never get enough. This soup has quite the kick and since I'm a little congested and coughy — it really clears me out. Try it for yourself... I've included my recipe below.

Ingredients
For soup:
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
3 3/4 c. sliced carrots
1 tsp. of: ground coriander, ground cumin, and cayenne pepper (more = spicy)
3 3/4 c. vegetable stock
a pinch of salt + fresh ground pepper to taste

For garlic croutons:
a puddle of olive oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
3 slices of stale bread, cut into 1/2 inch cubes

* To make the soup, heat oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and carrots + cook slowly for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the spices and cook for 1 more minute, stirring.
* Stir in stock and bring to a boil. Cover + simmer for ~45 minutes until the carrots are tender.
* Meanwhile, make the garlic croutons by heating oil in a small skillet. Add garlic + cook slowly for 30 seconds, stirring. Add bread cubes, turn them over the oil and fry over medium heat for a few minutes until crisp + golden brown.
* After the soup has cooked for 45 minutes, turn off heat and use a hand blender to smooth (I usually like to leave it a little chunky). Season with salt and pepper. Add croutons. Eat while piping hot. Voilà!

Posted via email from Consumed with Discretion

No comments:

Post a Comment